I have a Canon 50d that I am taking on a camping trip in several weeks. I was wondering if it is possible to charge the battery from a car's auxiliary power outlet. What would I need to do this, if it is indeed possible?

  • 3
    You need a power inverter. DC to AC. Then you can plug in your battery charger. That is it. Any $30 inverter from your local store will achieve this simple task.
    – dpollitt
    Jul 26, 2013 at 2:54
  • SOEM LiIon stand alone chargers have 12 VDC in\put and use a mains to 12v power pack to operate them. These can be operated from 12 VDC from a car by inputting it at the 12V input. Jul 28, 2013 at 4:55

4 Answers 4


You can buy dedicated accessories for charging all kinds of stuff, or you can spend a little more and get a car converter 12V -> 110V, or 220V, depending on what your chargers need.

Then you can connect just about any standard device to it, as long as its current (wattage) requirements are not too high.

Here is one similar to one I have and it came in handy many times - most notably when camping:

  • This is exactly what I do, I have a power inverter in the back of my Honda Element and it charges my batteries as I drive from place to place. Jul 26, 2013 at 12:28

If you want an official Canon accessory, you can use the CB-570 Car Battery Cable. It works with the CG-570 Battery Charger and is listed on the accessories page for the 50d.

As others mentioned, a power inverter is also a more general solution, though converting from DC to AC back to DC will use additional power and put additional strain on your alternator. It's not a big deal, but it is worth noting since it will have a larger impact on millage (though still likely insignificant overall.)

It becomes a question of if you want a direct and efficient solution or a more generally useful device that can be used for multiple needs.

  • This is a little pricier than a standard 110/120V adapter although perhaps slightly more compact. Not usable for anything else though.
    – Octopus
    Jul 26, 2013 at 18:32

Yes it is possible. Buy a camera charger with car adapter with it. it's around $10 at Amazon.


SOME LiIon stand alone chargers have 12 VDC input. Some have a car cord only (supplied). Others use a mains to 12v power pack to operate them. These can be operated from 12 VDC from a car by inputting it at the 12V input.

A number here on ebay from about $US5.

12V with auto cigarette lighter plug and cord ebay $5.43. NJ source allegedly.

About $US13. Posts from Hong Kong. MAY have mains and car inputs. Read ad carefully, as ever ebay Battery charger for Canon BP-511 EOS 50D 40D 30D 60 G6

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.