What program would I need or manual adjustments in order to create a photo like this? What is this filter called? I typically use Aperture as my editing program but would be open to using others.

enter image description here

  • 7
    \$\begingroup\$ possible duplicate of How to get a vintage/dreamy look? \$\endgroup\$
    – mattdm
    Jul 7, 2013 at 16:34
  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ Use film and leave it on the dashboard of your car for a whole summer in Phoenix. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 8, 2013 at 13:47

3 Answers 3


I can hint you:

  • Reduce contrast and saturation
  • Apply a blue tint
  • Add noise
  • Add vignetting

There is no single way to produce an "effect", as there are many ways to produce effects very similar to the one you're referencing. The first step would be to properly expose the photo in order to facilitate the rest of the edits. What I mean by that is the photo has blown out white areas and what could be image noise. In order to create those two effects one would:

  • Expose for the darker parts and increase the ISO instead of slowing the shutter speed. This will help produce the noise you see - but may not always work. Alternately you can expose for the bright white pages, keep a low ISO and increase the shutter speed.
  • Now that you have the proper exposure and noise, you alter the exposure in Aperture. Adjust the exposure to blow out the white area's details and expose the rest of the image to the desired level, which brings out the noise that was likely not visible until now.

As has already been noted, some of the other obvious basic adjustments would be to:

  • reduce the contrast
  • adjust the color curves (notably the blue is stronger in your reference, so is the red)
  • OR manipulate the saturation instead of color curves for specific color channels to increase the blues and reds
  • add a vignette using Aperture's vignette tool

There are also Photoshop actions or presets in other programs, apps that give effects, layers, filters, etc., but this is as close as I can imagine doing it with just Aperture.


like I know, there are many way can achieve this look, try search "lomo effect" on youtube

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ Would be better if you could answer with some information rather than suggesting they search elsewhere. \$\endgroup\$
    – MikeW
    Jul 7, 2013 at 18:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.