Composition which consists of placing the topic or main subject to the side and never in center of the picture: does that technique have a name?


I'm pretty sure that it's just "subject off-center", with no special words. A Google search for that term returns a million results, and I don't see a common other term used, let alone a consensus for some other label.

However, in photography over the past century, it's pretty strongly related to the rule of thirds, which is widely understood as a suggestion to compose in exactly this way, with subjects a third of the way into the frame rather then centered. (The original "rule of thirds" was about dividing lines or blocks of color in a composition, but the idea of subject placement is very strong in its modern oft-repeated incarnation. You'll see it often in the search results above, although clearly not all off-center subjects follow the strict guideline.)

The idea that the fraction ¹⁄₃ (or any other particular ratio) is special isn't based on anything rational, but it's generally true that centered subjects tend to be more static; using an off-center subject allows use of tension and dynamic balance in composition. (More on this under When is it OK to place the subject in the middle of a picture?)


It sounds like you are referring to the Rule of Thirds which states that when composing a shot, it's better to position things along 1/3s horizontally and spread them between the two thirds vertically.



Centred is "static."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.