I have purchased an Agfa Optima Sensor Flash camera.
I've googled and had a read around, including the manual, and have figured out for the most part how I can expect the metering program to work when not using the flash, but not sure how it will work when I am using the flash.
Here is what I have learned so far, and my sources:
- You tell the camera the film speed (from 25 - 500)
- Shutter speeds range from 1/45 - 1/1000
- Aperture ranges from 2.8 - ? (have read 16 or 22)
- The system is shutter priority (apparently read this from a blog, no mentioned in manual)
- The flash is GN 12
- The focusing is manual (zone markings on one side, distance scale on the other)
- The shutter is electronically controlled
- The camera alerts you with a flashing light when the conditions are too dark and you can then swing up the pop up flash.
So my question is, assuming that the metering is shutter priority, what is likely to be happening when the flash is used?
The manual indicates
100 ASA: 0.9 - 3 m
200 ASA: 0.9 - 4 m
300 ASA: 0.9 - 6 m
400 ASA 0.9 - 8 m
My guess would be that the camera will revert to a slow shutter - maybe the 1/45, and only use this?
In this case what will be happening with the aperture? Will this also revert to a set setting?
The stated increase in flash range with film speed suggests that change in film speed will not result in a corresponding change in aperture when using flash. Am I right in presuming that the camera is probably not sophisticated enough to alter the aperture according to focus distance is set at?
If the aperture will be fixed any idea what aperture it would set itself to?
And if the exposure is totally fixed when using flash and i'm using 400 speed film I would have thought that the flash that can reach a subject at 8m is going to totally blow them out at 0.9 m, is this correct?
Finally: I realise that this is not an enormous issue - it's not a sophisticated camera and meant to be point and shoot. I'm mostly just asking for my own interest as to how cameras work, and I'm also going to take it to a party in a couple of days and was wondering what speed film to load (haven't used it yet), so this info could be helpful in making that decision.