I know a specialist framing shop can make custom frame sizes but are there any places that make this frame size as a pre-set item, for a panorama?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Flagged as 'too localized' as there are different answers depending on locale. \$\endgroup\$
    – user9817
    Apr 10, 2013 at 11:03
  • \$\begingroup\$ Google it for online options or go to any store that will custom make frames locally if they don't already carry your favorite size. This applies to every size, not just 4x18. I don't think we need every size under the sun asked here on this website, especially since we don't live in the same place. \$\endgroup\$
    – dpollitt
    Apr 10, 2013 at 12:45
  • \$\begingroup\$ I know you have your web site where you sell prints in odd sizes. Are you looking for a supplier for that? Maybe some further explanation in the question would help the naysayers here. \$\endgroup\$
    – mattdm
    Apr 10, 2013 at 14:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ @mattdm,yes. Basically I sell 4x18" prints (without frames) and so customers regularly ask where they can buy frames. Google is a bit thin on results so I was hoping you bright people might have some clever ideas ;-) \$\endgroup\$
    – matt burns
    Apr 10, 2013 at 19:34
  • \$\begingroup\$ I just did a 8x32" panorama which I made into a 10x34" framed print. The print cost less than $20 at Bay Photo and my local Hobby Lobby charged a total of around $50 for dry mount, matting, glass, and I assembled my own frame rails (as mentioned in comments below). \$\endgroup\$ Apr 11, 2013 at 20:37

3 Answers 3


Professional framing suppliers like Pictureframes.com will sell you the components for whatever size you want. Metal frames are usually sold in pairs of sides, so for a 4x18" frame, you would order a 4" pair and an 18" pair. The sides are then easily assembled with hardware they provide. They will also cut glazing, backing, and matting to whatever size you need.

  • \$\begingroup\$ I really like my local Hobby Lobby or Michael's stores. They carry these frame sides in pairs as mentioned along with the other hardware. Albeit, you are very likely to find cheaper prices online, I also have Hobby Lobby do my dry mounting, matting and cutting of the glass. A total one-stop experience. To save some more cash, you can go to a home improvement store for the glass. They should even cut it down to size for you in store. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 11, 2013 at 20:31

You can get a frame intended for 3 landscape 4x6" photos and then get a bespoke mount.

I saw some Nielsen frames in UK shop called "Athena". They also cut the mounts for £5.

panoramic picture frames

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

  • \$\begingroup\$ I have done this approach with good success along with also finding low priced, pre-made, frames in such things as wall mirrors (removing the mirror glass of course). Wall mirrors also tend to be made in odd sizes and even found at places like garage/yard sales. \$\endgroup\$ Apr 11, 2013 at 20:34

If you google 4X18 frame, several results come up. Most are for the same brand name, Craig, and are fulfilled by Sears/K-mart.





If you want a frame large enough for a matte around your 4x18 photo, then you would of course need to find a larger frame. A two inch matte would require an 8x22 frame. A google search for "8x22 frame" yields results from the same sources as the 4x18 search.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.