I really like the blurry effect on the tunnel walls and ceiling in this photograph by Joko on 500px. I get disappointed with my pictures when I see something like that. Can someone explain me how he did that? Is this kind of Photoshop effect, or some kind of technique?

  • 1
    Can you describe the image in words, and particularly the aspect you are interested in?
    – mattdm
    Mar 17 '13 at 13:36
  • Picture is taken by Nikon, that's why I used Nikon tag.
    – D4Am
    Mar 17 '13 at 13:39
  • What I like in the picture is this blurry effect on right and left side of the picture. Also, this effect on ceiling is so modern and abstract. What kind of effect did he used?
    – D4Am
    Mar 17 '13 at 13:42
  • Ok, thnx, I will try to change it ;)
    – D4Am
    Mar 17 '13 at 13:47
  • I'm not saying all this to attack you or the question, by the way. Editing it to include this info will both get better answers for you (I would have focused on the silhouette rather than the blur of the tunnel), and also increases the chance that someone with the same interest will ever find the question later. Right now, even if this gets a great answer, someone else might wonder the exact some title ("How to get this type of picture?") but be wondering about a crisp and colorful flower photograph.
    – mattdm
    Mar 17 '13 at 13:49

It looks like the photographer used the zoom effect. It consists in zooming in (or out, but mostly in) while you are taking the picture. Not before, not after, but while you are taking the picture. You can read more about this particular effect here.

It's pretty difficult to achieve, and takes a lot of practice. You'd want to use a tripod and long exposure time, as well as a small aperture to have a higher depth of field with your subject in focus.

  • 1
    I think this is it. Well done! I totally forgot on my zoom! Well done!
    – D4Am
    Mar 18 '13 at 19:00
  • maybe he did this for one exposure and another sharp fast exposure and overlayed them? Mar 18 '13 at 19:49
  • why do that when you can just fire the flash, as per my answer?
    – PeterT
    Mar 18 '13 at 20:24

I think it's a combination of zooming during a long exposure, with flash so that there is a sharp exposure of the figure.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.