I can call myself as nerd but this time I'm stuck, I couldn't find any information about a filter or effect. All I know is; there is a Photoshop brush set.

How can people do that effect like one in this example? Is it automatic or you have to use specific brush or what?

enter image description here

  • Its not the accented edges brush strokes filter over a photo is it?
    – NULLZ
    Feb 9, 2013 at 15:41
  • It would be very, very helpful if you could describe your impression of the effect briefly in the title and in more detail in the question. Short "what is this?" questions have three problems. First, answerers may not see what you find interesting in the photo, so it's best to be clear about what you're wondering about. Second, no one looking for the exact same thing is likely to ever find this in a search, because there's nothing distinct to key off of. And finally, people who were looking for some completely other effect may stumble across this, which doesn't help anyone.
    – mattdm
    Mar 19, 2013 at 3:05
  • You are completely right but If I could describe anything I would google it first. So I've added the photo and it's my words. Thanks.
    – Nime Cloud
    Mar 20, 2013 at 6:50

3 Answers 3


Topaz Clean can achieve similar results: http://gallery.topazlabs.com/keyword/clean?forceView=1360425932182#!p=2&n=10

But plugin used for this photo is most likely Fractalius: http://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterFractalius.htm

  • Looks very much like Fractalius to me
    – Matt Grum
    Feb 9, 2013 at 23:32

My first guess was Topaz Clean, as @marcinwolny suggested. It's a plugin that works globally, not a brush set, but I think it approximates the effect in that image. Here is a before and after I've done quickly to show what Topaz can do.

enter image description here

  • Applied Topaz Clean (Curly Smooth filter)
  • Duplicated the layer - guassian blur (15-20 pixels) - blend mode screen - to lighten and give it a glow

Take a look at G'Mic's filters Here are some similar filters that they have - artistic -> Rodilius - artistic -> painting - artistic -> Whirl drawing

  • That doesn't really seem very similar to this effect in results.
    – mattdm
    Mar 25, 2015 at 21:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.