I'm currently looking for a flash diffuser for the Canon Macro Twin MT-24EX. I see that many people make their own. However, I'm not very good about building stuff. Is there anything available in the market? I haven't found much so far.

  • 1
    You don't have to 'build' much. Just cut two appropriately sized pieces out of a plastic milk bottle or other similar 'frosted' plastic and tape them onto the flash. Heck, even parchment paper for cooking will do a half decent job. Feb 8, 2013 at 8:46
  • Or a tissues. I usually make diffusers for macro from tissues. Cheap, weights nothing and works wonders! Feb 9, 2013 at 15:26
  • 1
    Because you're taking macro photos, and the flashes are close to the subject, I would imagine the flash heads are relatively large compared to the subject, and I'd question if you even need a diffuser. I think you're mainly going to just scatter light away from the subject and not really improve your images. Tissue or milk jug plastic, as desribed above should do fine.
    – MikeW
    Feb 10, 2013 at 1:09

1 Answer 1


Stofen make a set of diffusers that fit the MT-24EX. Although they get good reviews on B&H, most photographers prefer to make their own, not because DIY is cheaper, but because DIY diffusers can provide more diffused lighting than the Stofens.

Puffer diffusers can also be used on the MT-24EX, though they don't clip in place. An elastic band will be needed to keep them on the heads (and even then they sometimes slip off).

As the others have said, it's really worth while making your own. Personally I use DIY concave diffusers or a vellum paper 'tent' diffuser.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.