Christy Lee Rogers is an artist/photographer. I find her work surreal. Below are couple of photographs she took "straight out the camera".

Any idea how these photographs might be taken ?

enter image description here

Another image here. You can check out the gallery over here

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Can you link to larger versions of the images please? It's hard to tell exactly what's going on at this size, though it looks like they are shot looking down through the surface of the water. \$\endgroup\$
    – user456
    Commented Jan 24, 2013 at 9:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ @NickMiners You can google her name. There are plenty of images on the internet. Here is the link :- google.com/… \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jan 24, 2013 at 9:45
  • 7
    \$\begingroup\$ @VinothKumar - sending people who want to help you to Google is a little bit rude - especially wen the answer to your question can be found on Google \$\endgroup\$
    – Nir
    Commented Jan 24, 2013 at 10:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Nir Link to her site was in the question itself, guess both of you overlooked, lol. \$\endgroup\$
    – GoodSp33d
    Commented Jan 24, 2013 at 10:22
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @Nir. I'm sorry; I did not mean to be rude. I just thought that is the easiest way to find her images :) \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jan 24, 2013 at 14:10

2 Answers 2


A quick Google search for "Christy Lee Rogers making of" returns enough information:

The effects in my images are created naturally in-camera using the refraction of light and movement in different depths of water. Light has a lower optical density in the air, while light traveling in water has a higher optical density, causing a bending of light and the captured image while bodies are immersed in water.

  • From this post -- Rogers creates her photos in swimming pools at night. The scenes are illuminated with bright off-camera lights

There's also more information in this PDF on Christy Lee Rogers's own site

  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ Light does not have a property called "optical density" (here, also "refractive index"). Material through which light travels does. Water has a higher refractive index than air. When light passes through the transition of two materials of different RIs, it is refracted, or bent. This is how lenses work. The rippling effect in the photos is caused by the air to water change in RI. "Optical density" usually refers to the absorbance of a material but can refer to RI as well. \$\endgroup\$
    – CPRitter
    Commented Jan 24, 2013 at 13:13

The short bio on her web site summarizes:

Without the use of post-production manipulation, her works are made in-camera, on the spot, in water and at night.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.