When doing stop-frame animation with a video camera, some software has the ability to overlay the photo you're about to take with a semi-transparent ghost of the previous photo, allowing you to line up your shot perfectly.

What is this technology called?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Not sure if this is technically a photography question, but this was the only place I could find to ask it. \$\endgroup\$
    – Zaz
    Commented Sep 12, 2010 at 0:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ Also useful for panoramic shots. I'm not aware of any dSLRs which do this (in live view or otherwise), but some point-and-shoot cameras do. (In panorama-mode... A stop-motion mode would be cool too. \$\endgroup\$
    – mattdm
    Commented Jan 2, 2011 at 19:15

1 Answer 1


Onion skinning I think.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.