On every conventional digital camera (excluding the models with detachable lenses), there are buttons to zoom in and out with W side and T side.

When you press W, the lens zooms out. The lens zooms in when you press T

I want to know what do these letters, W and T mean.

  • 1
    I'd vote to close as a too-basic/look-in-the-manual question, except when I did a quick search, it looks like there's a lot of people asking it, so I don't think it hurts for us to have an answer.
    – mattdm
    Dec 19, 2012 at 18:57
  • I tell PPl its T for towards it W for way from it.
    – user46701
    Nov 29, 2015 at 0:38

2 Answers 2


These letters refers to zooming depth as follows,

  • W = Wide angle
  • T = Telephoto

Read more about wideangle and telephoto in the tags.

  • 1
    The name "telephoto" includes "tele", which means "far off" or "over a distance" so it literally means "long distance photography" Dec 1, 2015 at 2:46

The W stands for Wide angle. The T stands for Telephoto.

This has been asked around the web, for example here:

Yahoo! Answers: What does W T button (zoom) stands for in zoom lens cameras?
Tech-Recipes: Why are Camera Zoom Buttons Labelled W and T?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.