Nobody's quite sure why the new Southern Comfort ad is quite as cool as it is, but I really like the warm '70s film-like look that they have added to the video.

How would I re-create this warmth in a photo? Is this the result of lens filters or post processing?

(I shoot RAW on a D800, if that matters)

enter image description here

  • I don't understand why you think the warm look is film-like. There were some films known for shifting colors a bit to the warm side, others the other way. In any case, this only mattered for slide film which was used directly. With negative film, the general color tone was a choice in printing. Dec 13 '12 at 23:08
  • I meant film as in movie stock. yes certain (still) films do push towards warm, that's what i'm looking for. Dec 13 '12 at 23:12

Most video footage is shot with a neutral white balance and then "graded" to taste in the editing suite.

Whilst you could use a warming filter on the lens it's much cheaper, easier and more flexible to shoot RAW and set a warm white balance when converting the images.

I did this in Adobe Camera RAW by warming the WB, adjusting the amount of green and applying a slight orange split tone to the highlights.

  • Im fairly sure this is more than just white balance at work tbh, i have tried to get this (or similar) look in the past - curves? Dec 13 '12 at 12:13
  • 1
    Could be slightly split-toned looks like there's more green in the shadows. There's a million different ways to manipulate the colours of an image, without seeing the original it's impossible to say.
    – Matt Grum
    Dec 13 '12 at 12:34
  • thanks for adding the image - yes that's close, especially the sky blue. Dec 13 '12 at 23:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.