I currently have a Yashica TL Electro that I use for black and white photography but it seems that it is slowly giving up the ghost and im starting to look for a replacement. This camera was given to me years ago and is the only film camera I have used and I don't know much about 35mm SLR cameras.
What I like about the Yashica:
- It looks nice (very subjective I know)
- TTL metering
- Quite lightweight/easy to carry around
- Fully manual operation
- Doesn't rely on the battery to work (only metering)
What I don't like:
- Batteries for the meter are hard to find and expensive
- Not quite as tough as I'd like
- I find the 'shattered glass' focusing screen a little hard to use sometimes
Are there any 35mm cameras that are cheap, reliable, mechanical shutter or use commonly available batteries that are similar in looks and feel to the Yashica?
I am currently looking for another TL Electro, but thought it wouldn't hurt to see what else was about.