Before my XP went walk-about (and the hard drive went with it) I was using a free editing program that allowed a "one-touch" (well, actually it was three clicks — but who's counting...) adjustment to the "relief" of a photo — which created a slightly more three dimensional look or depth-with-clarity — but I cannot recall the name of it. Anyone know?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ This is going to be hard unless someone knows the specific program, because normally "relief" in post-processing software refers to a cheesy faux bas relief effect where the filter does an edge detect and uses grayscale with light and dark to give a (usually really bad) pseudo-3D look. \$\endgroup\$
    – mattdm
    Nov 25, 2012 at 14:14
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Can you include a sample image of this effect? \$\endgroup\$ Aug 7, 2013 at 8:45
  • \$\begingroup\$ do you mean "bas-relief"? \$\endgroup\$
    – JenSCDC
    Sep 2, 2014 at 16:04

1 Answer 1


What you refering as relief is as mattdm said a highlight shadow filter more like to give any object a stone-a-like surface look. What you are trying to ask is "Clarity" and/or "Structure". You can use snapseed which is free now after google bought it and there are many filters you can enjoy and very easy to use.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.