In TipSquirrel there is a tutorial on "Unifying an image with Selective Color" By Michael Hoffman. Can this be done with Photoshop Elements.

I am not very knowledgable on Photoshop Elements as I generally use Lightroom 4.

  • 3
    google: photoshop elements selective colour tutorial, and you'll find plenty of matches.
    – Matt Grum
    Nov 19, 2012 at 11:56
  • The Hoffman tutorial refers to a Photoshop adjustment layer that lets you apply a colour cast to an image. Not the usual selective color technique (mostly B&W image with some small thing in color). So those google results aren't very helpfule. Sue, if you're still looking, you'll probably get better help in SuperUser or Graphic Design.
    – MikeW
    Mar 31, 2013 at 4:27

2 Answers 2


You can use either 'sponging' or 'masking' Which will both achieve the effect i believe you are trying to achieve. Masking is much simpler and more effective i believe but its up to you.

Hope it helps!

  • Those two, and my answer which I've deleted, deal with something different than the "selective coloring" referred to in the Michael Hoffman video. That is a tool in Photoshop that lets you apply a color cast to the entire image. Not the selective coloring where you have a black and white image with a selected area remaining in color.
    – MikeW
    Mar 31, 2013 at 4:25

Duplicate the layer, and on the top layer convert it to black and white. Then add a layer mask and mask through to the underlying colour layer the area you want to be in colour.

Then flatten and save. Simples :)

EDIT: YES you can do this in Elements - in "Expert mode"... I've done it myself!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.