Is a lens like the one below actually available?
enter image description here

This is a screenshot from a movie. The photographer in the movie uses this lens to covertly photograph the scene happening to his right using this lens.

So I was curious to know whether this type of lens is actually available? If available what is the name for these kind of lens and their features?

  • 2
    The lens is a 50mm f/1.8(widely available). The tube on the end is another contraption, but not a lens :) – dpollitt Aug 15 '12 at 12:58
  • 1
    @dpollitt +1 for the detail. – vivek_jonam Aug 15 '12 at 13:54

Sure, they are called Angle Mirror Lenses

You can buy one here: http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Voyeur-Right-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000F49052

Although I must say they are a bit creepy, even the product name is creepy... You'd do better to learn to interact with the people you want to photograph.

| improve this answer | |
  • So it's not a lens as-such but an attachment that goes on the front of another lens? I also figure any photo taken with this will be flipped horizontally. If it's important (if there's any writing in the image such as a sign), it'll need flipping back in PP. – Mike Aug 15 '12 at 11:30
  • 5
    Product description is very creepy: This lens can be a valuable asset when shooting still pictures at the beach, pool, and other public places. – fredley Aug 15 '12 at 11:48
  • 4
    If you have a front-rotating lens, this can be a joy to use... – Davy Landman Aug 15 '12 at 12:06

It's not a lens as such, it's just a right-angle mirror in an adapter that fits onto the filter ring of a lens. It's just a mirror in a tube, really. There's usually a plain piece of glass or a really cheap plastic lens element in the front of the tube to make it look more like a lens front the front.

It may be called a "right-angle mirror lens hood" or a "super spy lens"; it's very widely available and made by a number of manufacturers in a number of sizes to fit different lenses. They range in price from about $US 25 to $US 100, depending on the maker and the size. The Photodiox brand is available through Amazon. It's also available from a number of makers on eBay and from specialty online retailers like photojojo.com.

| improve this answer | |

Yes, this looks like "The Super-Secret Spy Lens" which you can attach to your existing lens and shoot on a 90° angle.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.