I need help - I want to buy 50mm f/1.8 for my Nikon d300. The description of the lens says Filter Attachment Size 58mm. My kit lens is filter size 72 mm. Is 58mm is the right size lens for my camera or do I need any extra rings?

  • 1
    Does my edit accurately reflect your meaning, or are you actually asking if the same filters will fit both lenses?
    – mattdm
    Jul 8 '12 at 17:26

Don't worry. That size is for attaching filters (for example, polarizing or colored) to the front of the lens. The lens mount, on the back side, is standardized and is the same for all Nikon F-mount lenses (which your camera uses).

  • If I understand the question correctly, the OP has a kit lens with a filter thread size of 72mm, and a 50mm f/1.8 lens with a filter thread size of 58mm. That would be two different filter sizes, not the difference between the filter mount and the lens mount...so wouldn't an adapter ring be required?
    – jrista
    Jul 9 '12 at 20:51
  • I think that the questionner is trying to determine if the lens will fit the camera, and is worried that it won't because of the filter size marking. I don't think the question is actually about filters at all.
    – mattdm
    Jul 9 '12 at 21:08
  • And in that case, a filter ring certainly would not be required to just mount the 50mm lens.
    – mattdm
    Jul 9 '12 at 21:10

You can use your 72mm filters in your 50mm f/1.8. You will need a ring adapter 58 » 72 to use the same filters

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.