Nikon's website doesn't seem to suggest any reversing rings that go with specific lenses (in my case a 50mm f/1.8G) .

For macro shots how to decide which reversing ring goes with it? Yeah, Amazon shows lots of results, but on which basis should I decide what?


1 Answer 1


You base a reversing ring on the filter thread size and mount for your camera. To determine your size, check this question. That particular lens has a 58mm filter size, so you need something like this that uses the Nikon mount.

I'm assuming you mean the 50mm f/1.8 G and not the D, since your D3100 won't autofocus with the D but will with the G. If you mean the D version, its 52mm.

  • \$\begingroup\$ @Anisha - Actually, you didn't, I edited it in. \$\endgroup\$
    – rfusca
    Mar 19, 2012 at 15:48
  • \$\begingroup\$ Okay here is an apology - a big one. \$\endgroup\$ Mar 19, 2012 at 15:55
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Anisha lol, no worries. Hope your D3100 is treating you nice, post some pics in chat to share! \$\endgroup\$
    – rfusca
    Mar 19, 2012 at 16:58
  • \$\begingroup\$ Rfusca, see what Nikon has. nikon.co.in/en_IN/product_details.page?DCRPath=templatedata/… Which one among them is a "reversing" ring? \$\endgroup\$ Mar 20, 2012 at 0:29
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @Anisha it doesn't look like Nikon has an official one for the 58mm size. I wouldn't hesitate using a well known 3rd party product for this though - its just a solid piece of metal. \$\endgroup\$
    – rfusca
    Mar 20, 2012 at 0:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.