Does the Image Stability feature of the Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS make any difference compared to older non-IS version (Canon EF-S 18-55mm)? Which version is better?
Referred from here
Changes compared to the non-IS versions
- The new IS lens is slightly longer than the NON IS (70mm vs 66mm)
- The front element is larger in diameter (44mm vs 37mm)
- The three elements after the front element are also larger, might be to accommodate the demands of the optical IS unit.
- The aperture diaphragm has been moved and the lens coatings also seems to have been changed.
- The lens remains impressively lightweight and compact 10g more than the non IS one.
- The minimum focus distance has been reduced from 0.28m to 0.25m, which increases the maximum magnification from 0.28x to 0.34x.