Does the Image Stability feature of the Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS make any difference compared to older non-IS version (Canon EF-S 18-55mm)? Which version is better?
Referred from here
Changes compared to the non-IS versions
- The new IS lens is slightly longer than the NON IS (70mm vs 66mm)
- The front element is larger in diameter (44mm vs 37mm)
- The three elements after the front element are also larger, might be to accommodate the demands of the optical IS unit.
- The aperture diaphragm has been moved and the lens coatings also seems to have been changed.
- The lens remains impressively lightweight and compact 10g more than the non IS one.
- The minimum focus distance has been reduced from 0.28m to 0.25m, which increases the maximum magnification from 0.28x to 0.34x.
The IS version has an entirely new optical construction and is a lot better in every way.