You may remember APS film. It came out in the 90s, and was quickly replaced by digital. The film was connected to the cannister in a clever way that allowed you to rewind mid-roll.

Are there any devices for scanning APS film?

Is it safe to break the cannisters open?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ can you clarify what you mean by 'safe'? You have to break the canister to develop it. \$\endgroup\$
    – cmason
    Jan 20, 2012 at 18:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ Did someone hack your SE account AJ Finch?! This is odd :) \$\endgroup\$
    – dpollitt
    Jan 20, 2012 at 18:52
  • \$\begingroup\$ No, @dpollitt, but i am posting from my phone - always trying. \$\endgroup\$
    – AJ Finch
    Jan 20, 2012 at 18:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ See also: photo.stackexchange.com/q/3383/21 \$\endgroup\$ Jan 20, 2012 at 19:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ @cmason, no: the film unrolls from the cannister and is rolled back in afterwards. I don't want to accidentally tear the negative by going in heavy-handed. \$\endgroup\$
    – AJ Finch
    Jan 20, 2012 at 21:30

2 Answers 2


Well, sure there are devices for scanning APS film. You can get an APS adapter for a Nikon Coolscan IV. I have a couple old Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IIs that accept APS.

You can use a flatbed (V700 is probably the best) with an uncut-120 film holder, secure the film in the holder, then cut the images in Photoshop (scan software, GIMP, whatever) as you scan them.

Breaking the canister is how you get to the film. So once it's developed that's not an issue, as far as i understand your question.

Or you can hire people to do it. Pixmonix, DigMyPics, ScanMyPhotos, etc.


I have a Nikon Coolscan V ED 35mm film scanner myself, and have noticed that Nikon marketed a separate attachment gizmo for this model that allowed one to scan APS films (out of the box, the V handles 135-format only, either by filmstrip feeder or slide holder). So yes, there are solutions out there. The problem is that the Coolscan V is now out of production and only available second-hand, and that the APS adapter thingy probably costs an arm and a leg.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.