This is a very basic question I know. But how do I tile pictures in a grid? Like, I have 6 pictures all with the exact same dimensions, and I want to tile them in a 2 row, 3 column grid. I have been searching the net all day and got lost between fancy photo collages, photo mosaics (which require a "master image") and other irrelevant results. Surely there must be an easy way to do this. Hopefully using freeware software available for Microsoft Windows.

  • 1
    For printing or for online use? Depending on your use, the best approach may be desktop publishing software, in which case graphicdesign.stackexchange.com might be better. Or, if it's for the web, you might not want to actually not combine them into one graphic file but rather have an HTML page with the layout and captions. – Please Read My Profile Dec 23 '11 at 14:34
  • If it is for online use, I would suggest posting a link to an example of what you are trying to do, and having this question migrated to the graphic design stack exchange site. – dpollitt Dec 23 '11 at 15:22
  • 1
    it's for printing and also distribution via email. I want to create a single image from six separate images. – user7775 Dec 23 '11 at 15:57
  • 4
    look up ImageMagick; a command like "montage -geometry 640x480+0+0 orig* out.jpg" should do it. Also, there are a couple related questions: photo.stackexchange.com/questions/10424 and photo.stackexchange.com/questions/14494 – user2910 Dec 23 '11 at 19:04
  • Try photoscape, it is a wonder piece for editing photos and more......animating, tiling, combining and above all it is free. You won't believe the results. – user20538 Jun 18 '13 at 12:08

The term you are looking for is diptych or triptych. If you search on those terms you will find what you are looking for. If you use photoshop or GIMP, you can use actions or templates to place multiple images and create borders.

If you want standalone program to do just this one thing, here is one free (open source) program that does a good job. It is called DipStych.

Download from here

Diptych is very easy to use. You browse for your photos, preview them, and can then set the size and color of borders. It will resize the individual images to be the same height and/or width

Here is an example I've done:

enter image description here

It will stitch images vertically or horizontally, but not both, but it is easy to use. You could stitch 3 images horizontally and create one image. Then repeat with your second row of three. Then pull those two images back into the program and this time stitch them horizontally. So if I do another:

enter image description here

And now stitch them vertically on top of one another:

enter image description here

You would need to experiment with the borders in each step since the last step has caused that middle border to double up.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes it is, early morning for me! Will edit thanks. – MikeW Dec 23 '11 at 19:18
  • Hey great images too! – dpollitt Dec 23 '11 at 19:38
  • 1
    Hmmm. Hexptych? – Please Read My Profile Dec 23 '11 at 19:51

I had this exact question, google brought me here. Had Photoscape installed. Didn't realise it could do it.

Photoscape -> Combine (top menu) -> Down/Side/Checker(aka grid) on the right -> add your images and tweak.

Problem solved complete with inner and outer borders, optional image stretch and realtime preview.

Respect for the "diptych or triptych" explanation of terms!

| improve this answer | |

If you have Adobe Photoshop, it has a feature built in to do this: say FileAutomateContact Sheet II.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy