What does all those parts in a lens name mean?
I'm thinking about buying myself a new lens for my Nikon and I have a question about the naming conventions Nikon uses for its lenses. Some of the things I have figured out on my own but looking at the following few lens names
- AF Nikkor 14mm f/2,8D ED
- AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1,8G DX
- AF Nikkor 180mm f/2,8 D ED-IF
- AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3,5-5,6G ED VR
Ok I know some of those
- ##mm is the focal length
- f/#,# is the max aperture
- DX is to mark the lens as not full frame
- VR is Vibration Reduction
But what is the difference between G and D and what are ED and ED-IF?