I have two existing images that are identical in size and I would like to combine them, so that I can see a "faded" version of one image on top of the other.

In other words, I want to make "Image A" semi-transparent / opaque and place it on top of "Image B", so that I can see "Image B" and see a faded version of "Image A" (over the top of "Image B").

I am using The GIMP 2.10.30.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Is "The GIMP" correct? should it not just be "GIMP" ? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Feb 7, 2022 at 15:50
  • \$\begingroup\$ It's "GIMP", though it should be "The GIMP" is you ask me, because the acronym stands for "GNU Image Manipulation Program"... Having used "GIMP" since Day One and knowing its acronym since that time, I write "The GIMP" out of habit. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Feb 14, 2022 at 22:04

1 Answer 1

  • Open bottom image in Gimp
  • Use File > Open as layers to load the second image above the first one
  • In the Layers list (Ctr-L if you don't see it), use the "Opacity" slider at the top of the list to set opacity to taste (slider applies to layer selected in the list below)
  • \$\begingroup\$ Worked a charm... Thank you good sir! \$\endgroup\$ Commented Feb 6, 2022 at 8:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.