i have no idea what this is See image above, it is a right angled bracket of some sort. It has a tripod screw on the bottom, that is adjustable left or right. It is foldable, and on the top part it has a screw-in for a tripod, like the ones you see on the cameras themselves, a hand strap, and a shoe mount (probably cold). Could someone tell me what this is? My friend said it was a gimbal, but after searching up gimbals, I can verify that that is wrong.

  • \$\begingroup\$ What are the approximate dimensions? Was it stored with a particular camera? \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Commented Dec 24, 2021 at 23:58

1 Answer 1


Based on the description, it is a flash bracket. A flash can be mounted in the cold shoe and connected to the camera using a sync cord.

One use is to allow the use of hot shoe mounted flashes on cameras without a hot shoe. Another use is to move the flash further from the lens axis when a camera has a hot shoe to reduce red-eye and produce slightly more interesting shadows for portraits.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.