Stack Exchange Network
Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
Visit Stack Exchange
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It only takes a minute to sign up.
Sign up to join this community
Anybody can ask a question
The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
Theme: Black and White, Metaphorically
In this theme, black and white should be represented conceptually, not literally.
This theme was suggested by mattdm.
- View the submissions sorted by active to give every submitter a fair chance
- Vote up as many images as you like
- Please, up votes only! Do NOT vote down your competitors! If you don't like an image, don't vote
- Voting closes on November 1, 2021 at 12:01 AM UTC (00:01 UTC if you prefer a 24-hour time). The winner will be chosen based on votes at that time.
- One photo submission per answer. Up to three (3) entries allowed.
- Post only photos taken by yourself or the person with you.
- All entries should include:
- a title for the photo
- a location and date, if known
- camera, lens, and exposure settings, if known
- any other explanatory notes, comments, etc., that you want to include (completely optional)
- The submitted image must conform to this site's content license, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 (CC BY-SA 4.0) with attribution required.
- Do not use this as a forum for photo critique. Use chat instead, or ask a new question about your image.
Suggest a theme by writing a new answer at the Photo of the Week Theme Ideas thread. Please make sure to check the PotW theme ideas Archive first, to make sure you aren't recycling a theme.
The highest-voted theme will be the next theme.
asked Oct 18, 2021 at 2:04
From a "Darkness and Light" series I shot in May 2019.
- Canon EOS R w/ RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
- 74mm f/10 1/250s ISO 1250
- Portable strobe with 2x4' softbox.
Part of a series of photos pitting nature against machine.
Taken in September 2019 with a Sony A65. f/5.6 at 1/6 second using a 120 mm lens and a tripod.
Note - I used a found nest and fake eggs - no birds (or eggs) were harmed while taking this picture.
A Morning of Mourning
Twenty years later, the sun rises on a rose placed at the 9/11 Memorial in New York to honor and remember one of the brave heroes who gave his life to save others.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 105mm 1.8 Macro @ 1/320 sec. f/5.6 ISO 800
(Also literally Black and White)
Soft and hard
Finland July 15, 2021
Canon EOS 6D, EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
100mm, f/4, 1/800s, ISO 800
Alcatraz July 7th 2021
Nikon D500 with Sigma 150-600
ISO 200, f/5, 1/1600