I'm cleaning out my dads house and came across this analog Nikon camera in an old case.
The case looks worn but the camera and attachments look OK.
I have no idea if this is an all-in-one camera or if there a different attachments on it like filters and lenses?

I do not know anything about cameras, I've been trying to do research but don't know where to start. The serial number seems to be: FE 3252512.

Here are some photos of the camera and its accessories (click for larger images):

camera top camera bottom

camera front camera with case flash back

flash manual flash front

  • photos.app.goo.gl/qQ7zdNi2QaNHe7gE6 MORE PICS
    – Nancy M
    Aug 12 at 15:02
  • Does it have a serial number, either on the back (probably upper right side, below the film advance lever), or on the bottom?
    – scottbb
    Aug 12 at 15:28
  • I’m guessing this is it : FE 3252512
    – Nancy M
    Aug 12 at 15:35
  • 1
    Don't open up the back! There might be still some film in there with possible precious photos. Instead, try to wind the film back onto its spool (feel free search and/or ask a new question about that) and only then open the back. The film can then be developed at any local photo shop. Aug 12 at 15:49
  • I think there is film inside. THANKS !
    – Nancy M
    Aug 12 at 15:54

It's definitely a Nikon SLR (single-lens reflex) camera, which takes interchangeable lenses.

I believe the camera body is a Nikon FE. Firstly, the serial number starts with "FE". =) But also, comparing an FM to an FE (see Nikon FM/FE/FA, the first picture), yours looks like the FE.

The lens has a removable filter mounted on the front, a 52mm (diameter) L1BC Sky filter. Basically, it's color-correcting UV filter, meant to slightly "warm up" or prevent a blue color cast when using daylight film on subjects in the shade (thanks to MichaelC for the clarification). There's nothing super special about the filter, those types (or the A-versions, which had a more subdued effect) were pretty commonly used on film cameras when shooting outdoors. For more about these types of filters, see:

I can't tell which lens is on the camera. It looks like it's probably a 50mm f/1.8 AI-S lens, a common and standard Nikon lens at the time. Take off the lens cap, and look at the front of the lens. It might help to unscrew the UV filter. It should say something like "NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8" followed by a serial number, and then "Nikon" further around.

  • Nikkor 50mm 1:18 1864291. Thanks so much to both for helping. Really appreciate this !
    – Nancy M
    Aug 12 at 15:51
  • 1
    Skylight filters typically have a slight orange/pink tint to them, compared to UV filters which are supposed to be neutral in the visible spectrum. The "B" filters had a stronger tint than the "A" filters did. The purpose was to be able to use daylight film when shooting subjects in the shade or on overcast days without getting a blue color cast.
    – Michael C
    Aug 12 at 20:22
  • @MichaelC thanks. I more-or-less edited that into the answer, plus a couple links to UV/Skylight/A-vs.-B questions.
    – scottbb
    Aug 12 at 20:48

This seems to be a Nikon FE 35mm SLR manual focus camera from 1978.

Not sure about the lens, but it seems to be a Nikkor 50mm lens with an L1Bc filter attached to it.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.