I would love to look up the best tips and tricks to set up these kinds of shots and post processing them.

Is there a standard name for these kinds of shots, what are they called?

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


This is called "sequence photography".

The easy way to achieve one is to shoot a video and extract the relevant frames, but you work with video definition.

For true photography, with some luck you can use the camera burst mode, or you use an intervalometer to take shots at regular intervals. You cannot shoot faster than the camera burst mode and this means that you have a decent idea of the required interval (which can be obtained by using the video technique first).

Using a tripod will spare you the re-alignment of all the frames.

Using manual mode for exposure and focus may avoid variations between frames.

Having the subject overlap itself like in the picture above makes it a bit more difficult since you need a proper cutout of the subject. On the other hand since you have other images where the subject is not in that spot you can obtain a selection of the subject using the difference between the two images.

  • \$\begingroup\$ …& practise on an athlete in the shade, so you don't have to edit all the shadows too ;)) \$\endgroup\$
    – Tetsujin
    Jul 25, 2021 at 8:24
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Tetsujin Which got me wondering. If you use a median filter with all the frames, you get an image were the subject is totally wiped out. So, this also means that some "rebel" filter that takes the pixels that differ the most from the median could build the whole sequence fairly easily... \$\endgroup\$
    – xenoid
    Jul 25, 2021 at 8:36
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Potentially. I do get the feeling the actual photography may be harder to get right than the photoshopping ;) \$\endgroup\$
    – Tetsujin
    Jul 25, 2021 at 9:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ You should be able to generate a rough mask by taking the difference between the median and a given frame. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 26, 2021 at 15:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ @LightBender Can you point me towards any resource on how to "take the difference" \$\endgroup\$ Jul 30, 2021 at 14:39

The process is called “chronophotography.”

It can be done as a sequence of negatives as with Eadweard_Muybridge’s Horse in Motion.

It may also use a sequence of multiple exposures as with Étienne-Jules Marey’s A Galloping Horse.

As the examples suggest, the tricks are planning, preparation, technical competence, and hard work.

A tip for making good chronophotographs is start by making bad ones and learn from experience.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.