Apologies if this isn't the right place for this--it's the closest match I could think of. Please feel free to move it if it should be elsewhere.

At my work, I use a microscope on a regular basis. Because of the way it's set up, it's much easier to attach a microscope camera to it and use that, connected to a monitor, for most work. However, when I put the microscope camera on, it seems to be zoomed in, meaning I can only see a very small portion of the center of the image on the screen. The camera is zoomed out as far as it goes, but I still see even less than just the middle ninth of the image, compared to looking through the eyepiece.

Is this indicative of a problem with the setup, perhaps some adapter I should have that i don't? Or just that buying a cheap microscope camera wasn't the best idea? Or is this somehow just an intrinsic problem with using a microscope camera in general?

The microscope, if it's relevant, is a Seiwa PS-888, and the microscope camera is a super cheap Omano TMS-HDMI-1.

  • \$\begingroup\$ What's between the camera and the microscope camera port? The optics between the camera and microscope make a difference in field of view. \$\endgroup\$
    – qrk
    Commented Jul 9, 2021 at 17:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ @qrk Nothing but the adapters that came with it, which have no optical elements in them--they're just tubes, basically. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Commented Jul 9, 2021 at 20:41

2 Answers 2


Your microscope camera sports an imaging chip that is labeled 1/3 inch. This is a misleading nomenclature. It’s origin is the diameter of a glass vacuum tube used in TV cameras of the past. Your imaging chip’s measurements are approximately 3.5mm height by 4.66mm length.

Your 1/3 inch imaging chip is typical of low cost point-and-shoot still cameras.

For example, a high-end microscope camera sports a full frame imaging chip that measures 24mm height by 36mm length.

The best way to explain the difference is to compute the diagonal differenced thus: Your chip has a diagonal measure of 3.5mm. The full frame camera has a diagonal that measures 43.26mm.

The difference is: 43.26 ÷ 3.5 = 12.36. This value is called the crop factor or magnification factor. It tells us that your camera yields a tiny image that must be magnified 12 1/3 times to produce an image the same size as a full frame camera. Another way to state this: 1/12.36 X 100 = 8%. In other words, you camera's imaging chip is only 8% of the size of a full frame camera.

  • \$\begingroup\$ I know I didn't ask this in the question itself, but do you have any suggestions for how to fix it? I guess just some kind of zoom-out lens like someone else suggested? \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Commented Jul 10, 2021 at 1:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ Crop factors can be a bit misleading. A 12:1 ratio covers 1/150 of the area. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jul 10, 2021 at 20:23

I looked at the specs for the camera and microscope and I think you're running into a crop-sensor problem. The camera you're using has a 1/3" sensor, which means that if the image the microscope is projecting is 1" across at the camera's focal plane then you're only looking at the middle 1/7 of the image circle.

Of course, the eyepiece you're using affects the image you see vs what the camera sees. if your eyepiece had more magnification then it might be a perfect match for the camera setup you now have. The source I link to below has a table that shows, for a 10x eyepiece, that a 1/3" sensor needs a .3x reducer for the image to match what you see through the eyepiece.

Usually (when using an eyepiece adapter) you can get C-Mount adapters that have a reduction lens built in so that the small sensor size is better matched to the image size.

If the C-Mount adapter comes off of your 'scope and leaves an eyepiece sized tube you might be able to use one of these. A discussion of C-Mount reduction adapters (with useful links) can be found here.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Wouldn't it be 1/9, if it's a third the linear dimension? Anyway, I'm not sure if it does--how would I know if the tube is the right size for that adapter? How would I know that the adapter is the right length for it to focus properly? \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Commented Jul 9, 2021 at 15:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ It's an image circle so area-wise it would be ~1/7. Your other questions are good ones, but I don't have a lot of answers. Check the 2nd link for an in-depth discussion. I will say that a camera with a larger sensor will give you less magnification and be closer to what you're seeing through your eyepiece. \$\endgroup\$
    – BobT
    Commented Jul 9, 2021 at 15:59
  • \$\begingroup\$ A 1/3” sensor is not one third of an inch. It has a height of 3.6mm. An image circle of radius 1.8mm fits within it. The area of that circle is about 1Omm^2. An image circle of 1” diameter has an area approximately 49Omm^2. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jul 9, 2021 at 19:52
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @Bob, Thanks for the correction. The world of camera sensors is one where 1" is actually 16mm, and the diagonal of a 1/3" sensor is 6mm. Thank video camera tubes for the confusion... \$\endgroup\$
    – BobT
    Commented Jul 11, 2021 at 15:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.