I'm getting into repairing electronics and would like to be able to look closer at failing components. The Zink Selenide lenses, that are being sold, are insanely overpriced. I can't find the focal length and diameter required for the lens, so I can order just the lens cheap.

  • I assume ZnSe is used in lenses to have good IR transmission. Using a regular lens is not going to work...
    – xenoid
    Jan 22, 2021 at 12:41
  • Please explain how this is related to photography.
    – xiota
    Jan 22, 2021 at 13:23
  • @xiota "Photography is the art, application, and practice of creating durable images by recording light, either electronically by means of an image sensor [...]" I want to create a durable image by recording light that is close to the spectrum of visible light by means of an image sensor and a lense
    – WhatAMesh
    Jan 22, 2021 at 14:12
  • @xenoid I assume the same principles apply, like ior focal length etc., im basically asking which focal length, diameter and type of lense I need
    – WhatAMesh
    Jan 22, 2021 at 14:13
  • Your question states that you're "getting into repairing electronics and would like to be able to look closer at failing components." There is nothing there about taking photographs.
    – xiota
    Jan 22, 2021 at 14:25

1 Answer 1


You need a ZnSe convex or planoconvex lens. Placing it in front of your existing lens will allow it to focus closer.

Search for "ZnSe lens" on your favorite shopping sites. Many are listed as condenser lenses for CO2 lasers for around $15-20.

Make sure the diameter is large enough to cover the front element of your existing lens. Thare aren't really any other relevant specs since you'd be using it as an auxiliary lens to modify the function of your existing lens.

See YouTube: DIY Macro Mode for a Seek Thermal Camera

  • 1
    Works pretty nicely
    – WhatAMesh
    Feb 14, 2021 at 19:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.