What would you recommend for quickly changing and moving heads from tripod to monopod, slider, etc.

Would a cheap Arca Swiss copy or a 200PL be a good option?

To be used with Mirrorless and DSLR with light lenses, both for photography and video purposes.

  • \$\begingroup\$ What do you have on top of the heads? \$\endgroup\$
    – scottbb
    Jan 1, 2021 at 22:30
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @MikeSowsun All my heads have QR plates on the bottom, because I change between using ballheads, geared heads, and gimbal heads on my heavy duty tripod, which has a QR clamp on top. This allows me to select the right head, depending on what I'm shooting. \$\endgroup\$
    – scottbb
    Jan 2, 2021 at 0:33
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I understand now, but I have never seen anyone use multiple heads on one tripod. You might be the only person doing this. What is wrong the the quick release plates you are using now? \$\endgroup\$ Jan 2, 2021 at 1:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ @scottbb This is, precisely, what I want to do. That's why I'm asking what type of QR clamp are you using and whether you have a good experience with it. \$\endgroup\$ Jan 2, 2021 at 9:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ @MikeSowsun Good fluid heads are expensive. I have an old, heavy, tripod I use at home and a new, no so good but much lighter I use when going out. I want to share the same head with both. I also have a simple ball head I prefer for photography. That's why the quick changing heads would be useful. \$\endgroup\$ Jan 2, 2021 at 9:24

1 Answer 1


Kirk and RRS both offer solutions for this.

IMO the Kirk offerings are a bit more flexible and cost effective... at this moment the large clamp is $120/plates are $29, and the small clamp is $100/plates $24. I suspect the small clamp/plates would likely suit your needs.

The RRS clamp (one size only) is currently $130/plates $55. The RRS system uses a lever clamp as opposed to the screw clamp of the Kirk.

There have been other solutions on the market over the years, but I'm not aware of any at the moment. You could DIY easily enough using a lever release type clamp and a standard plate... the clamp would need to have 3/8-16 threads (many do) and the plate would have to be modified to use a 3/8-16 screw. A screw type clamp could also be used, but finding one large enough and with a long enough clamping knob to clear the base could be more problematic.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.