I'd like to build a DIY macro-studio at home for shooting flowers and other objects. I'd like to have an option to shoot with multiple light sources - at least 4. My other priorities are low cost and also correctness of color rendering.
I'm puzzled whether should I choose LED lighting or flashes for that purpose. What considerations should I take into account?
Here are pros and cons of each option that I see.
- Relatively cheap (though there are cheap flashes too, so it's possible to buy cheap slave-flashes for additional light sources).
- Ability to model lighting before shooting.
- Poorer color rendering compared to flashes.
- Much more usable outdoors:
- Flashes can suppress unneeded light by overpowering it.
- Ability to shoot at very high shutter speeds to avoid blurry images or capture moving subjects.
- Better battery life.
- Best color rendition.
- More lightweight than LEDs.
- More complex/costly setup for multiple flashes with wireless communication.
- Hard to choose right one - there are so many different flash manufacturers with incompatible wireless communication protocols.