I have a 3d printed attachment for my lenses which is heavy enough to make my small tripod not balance. I would like to shift the 1/4" threaded connection forward about 2 inches. Is there a product that does this? I can't seem to find one.

3 Answers 3


It's called a cheese plate; like this one from SmallRig.

enter image description here

You would use a 1/4-20 screw through one of the 3/8 holes into the current socket on the body; and then use any of the 1/4-20 holes in the cheese plate to mount to.

  • 3
    They're not hard to make, if you've got a drill press. That's why I bought a 1/4"-20 tap
    – Chris H
    Oct 22, 2020 at 14:33
  • 1
    @ChrisH, sure... but for this job the cheese plate shouldn't cost any more than a decent tap does. Oct 22, 2020 at 14:47
  • True. I had a free piece of aluminium the right size, a suitable drill, and tap wrench. I've since used the tap for a couple of other things, as I knew I would (including as a substitute for 1/4"-20 UNC, which is slightly different and occasionally seen in my work)
    – Chris H
    Oct 22, 2020 at 14:50
  • This is what I was imagining! Thanks.
    – nate
    Oct 22, 2020 at 19:46

If by "forward" you mean away from the photographer and towards the subject, you could use a tripod mount ring, also called a tripod collar:

enter image description here


You could either use a tripod collar around the lens, or a rail like a off-camera flash bracket rail or a cheap macro sled with a tripod mount.

  • Appreciate the alternative options. The flash bracket rail might be more utility.
    – nate
    Oct 22, 2020 at 19:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.