I have a Canon EOS Rebel T7, with a EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM. I plan to use this lens for mainly outdoor use.

I was wondering if I should use a lens hood with this lens. If I should, do you recommend a petal lens or a cylindrical lens hood?

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ You should use the lens hood designed for the canon 24mm lens you have whenever you want to stop a light source ( the sun ) from creating lens flare on your your photos. You would not need it if the sun was behind you or far enough off to the side, but the 24 has a wide angle of view. \$\endgroup\$
    – Alaska Man
    Commented Jun 25, 2020 at 0:00

1 Answer 1


Do you recommend a petal lens or a cylindrical lens hood?

Neither. Use the unconventional design that Canon created for the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM.

Since a 24mm on a 1.6X APS-C crop body has the same field of view as a 40mm lens on FF, it's the same hood that fits the other Canon pancake lens, the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM.

The ES-52 lens hood:

enter image description here

For how this type of design works, please see: How does lens-hoods for pancake lenses work? (Canon EF 40mm with ES-52)

If you want a cheap knock-off, they're out there too. They claim to be made of aluminum alloy, just like the Canon.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Is ES-52 really a lens hodd???? I use the same 50 mm. 1.8 II lens hood wich is cylindrical. It fits perfect on 24mm. with no vigneting. The model number is ES-62. \$\endgroup\$
    – Cortessi
    Commented Oct 27, 2020 at 20:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes. It is a different type of lens hood made to complement the compactness of the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens. The ES-62 is much bulkier than the EF-S 24mm or the ES-52. \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Commented Oct 29, 2020 at 0:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.