Looking at geared tripod heads it seems that the Arca Swiss Cube is the yardstick. There is a version of the Cube with gears for the panning motion as well as tilt/yaw link to article called the Cube GP (Geared Panning).

Now the Cube is out of my price range (and also is bigger and supports more weight than I need) so while looking at alternatives I came across Leofoto G2 which is a MUCH cheaper and lighter alternative to the cube but this lacks the geared panning.

Is there separate Geared Panning plates out there that I could buy? I have searched for such a product but my google fu is weak.

The intended use case is precision framing using a long macro lens (for example Sigma 100-300mm f4 with extension tubes) but I will mostly do other kinds of photography so I want a compact head and not one with large handles sticking out ruling out Benro GD3WH and similar heads.

  • Are you adverse to a single-axis motion controller? The Syrp Genie Mini comes to mind.
    – scottbb
    Jan 8 '20 at 3:40
  • @scottbb I had envisioned a non electronic solution, if that turns out not to exist I will have to rethink.
    – lijat
    Jan 8 '20 at 7:25

There are a few available.

Feisol PB-70

enter image description here

The base in 70 mm wide with a 3/8"-16 UNC socket. The top is 60 mm wide, with a 3/8"-16 UNC stud. This is intended to be the panning base below other mounts, such as pan/tilt or ball heads. This should be mounted on a leveled tripod, or on top of a leveling base.

Sunwayfoto GC-01 geared clamp

enter image description here

The base diameter is 58 mm. Comes with a detachable Arca-style QR plate for the bottom. Does not come with an Arca-style top plate. This is intended to be the panning base/clamp on top of a ball head.

  • 2
    The sunwayfoto gc-01 apears to be exactly what I was searching for. Thanks
    – lijat
    Jun 7 '20 at 5:43
  • i have both the cube and the leofoto and they are both great, Cube is the best. the leofoto is good only for architecture as it has only 15deg or swing/tilt
    – Francesco
    Jan 16 at 23:54

I'm not aware of a separate manual geared base available. There is the Photo Clam Mutliflex which is a cheaper version of the Cube.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.