I have a little tripod that has a mountable phone holder and light orb. Since the light orb is small, it's very convenient and I think it might also make a decent supplementary light source when I'm using my gopro to photograph (in cramped/remote places). However, I seem to be a few cards short of a full deck in that I can't combine the accessories together on the tripod. The gopro mount needs a 1/4" male, as does the bottom of the light orb (both circled in red) whereas the tripod just has the typical single 1/4" male (circled in green). See below:

enter image description here

I tried searching for "multiple mount" tripod accessories on a few search engines, but only saw products that were for professional setups (they were huge, meter-long horizontal bars). I'm looking for a simple Y-adapter of sorts, having one 1/4" female and providing two 1/4" males in a small form factor.


Are there any off-the-shelf solutions for my need case? If not, is there any refined DIY approaches other than grabbing some scrap wood and making a frankenstein adapter?

  • \$\begingroup\$ is there any refined DIY approaches other than grabbing some scrap wood...? I don't understand that part of the question. I mean, of course there are more refined approaches. 3D printing the needed part(s), die/laser cutting the parts, machining the parts, etc., are all more refined than cobbling together a solution from scrap wood. \$\endgroup\$
    – scottbb
    Dec 24, 2019 at 3:25
  • \$\begingroup\$ One possible solution between "meter long bars" and "small", in case you need a bit more stability on a bigger tripod: Two foot-long 15/60 lws rods, one baseplate, two camera mounts (should be around $40-60 for everything). \$\endgroup\$ Dec 24, 2019 at 12:05

2 Answers 2


Something like this.

If you want to find another one; i searched for "Flash bracket". A typical flash bracket is a rather short arm screwed under the camera with some way to attach a flash (flash bracket or screw). Just had to find one with a thread in the middle.


Perhaps search for "dual camera bracket" on a sales side or "stereo camera bracket".


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.