I am an aspiring photographer. I take pictures that I want printed in CMYK for a magazine.

Do I have to take the photo, and then painfully convert the rgb photo to cmyk? Is there no out of the box solution to handle this for me?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Related: CMYK vs RGB - Can a DSLR take CMYKimages? \$\endgroup\$
    – scottbb
    Dec 2, 2019 at 3:12
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes... i read this before posting this. I guess i can rephrase my question.. Basically i want to know what to do if i want to take photos with my camera for print purposes. Is this the normal process to follow --> Take a photo, then manually convert it to cmyk in photoshop? \$\endgroup\$
    – Jay
    Dec 2, 2019 at 3:14
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ You need to ask the magazine what format they require. Converting to some random CMYK profile is not going to be at all useful. Many places would rather you gave them sRGB so they can handle the correct profile conversion. \$\endgroup\$
    – Tetsujin
    Dec 2, 2019 at 9:08
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ What do you mean by painfully convert? Why would it be painful? There are ways to batch convert RGB files to CMYK, using a specific profile, etc. So I don't see why this would be painful... \$\endgroup\$
    – MrUpsidown
    Dec 2, 2019 at 11:54
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ When you say the colors "look dull and less vibrant", are you referring to the final printed product, or how your monitor displays CMYK-coded images? The latter will look worse than the former, by nature of the monitor's RGB output. \$\endgroup\$ Dec 2, 2019 at 12:34

1 Answer 1


If you are submitting images to a magazine/publisher/print shop you do not have to convert the images. What is important is to softproof using the right profile.

Usually CMYK conversion is done when creating a book in a format like pdf/x-1a using a program like indesign.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.