It is very common nowadays, specially with smartphone videos and photos. It consists of adding the same picture zoomed in the background, to turn a portrait image into a landscape one, as seen below. I'm sure it's super obvious but I've googled it without success.

enter image description here enter image description here

  • 5
    "Lack of planning ahead"
    – Michael C
    Nov 30 '19 at 4:57
  • 5
    Also, there's not necessarily a concise name for everything...
    – twalberg
    Nov 30 '19 at 14:44
  • 3
    @twalberg There usually is a concise name for frequent actions in business. The technique is nearly universal when news programs show vertical video used from the internet or sent in by viewers, so I'd be willing to bet there's probably a common news industry slang term (or perhaps competing slang terms) for it. It's too cumbersome to have imprecise and inefficient language for producers to say "put up those blurry sidebar things for this vertical video to show during the XYZ segment", when something like "Frotz this video for the XYZ segment" is faster and implicitly more precise.
    – scottbb
    Nov 30 '19 at 15:28
  • 2
    Say no to vertical video
    – Peter M
    Nov 30 '19 at 15:44
  • 2
    I like and agree with @scottbb's comment. And if nobody comes up with an answer, I'm going to start calling this effect frotzing!
    – osullic
    Nov 30 '19 at 15:58

Banding the sides of an image is called pillarboxing (as opposed to banding the top and bottom, i.e., letterboxing). Wikipedia's page refers to the technique you describe as "stylized pillarboxing" or "echo pillarboxing".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.