I am a web developer whose knowledge about photography is very limited. I am trying to find keywords to search for more pictures like the following. enter image description here where there is a picture of an object with pure solo color in the background.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated

  • \$\begingroup\$ What are some of the descriptive words that come to your mind ? What makes you think they would share a common descriptor or key word ? what is it in these images that speaks to you ? \$\endgroup\$
    – Alaska Man
    Nov 23, 2019 at 3:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ @AlaskaMan OP is a web developer. He's looking for stock images with space over which to superimpose text. \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Nov 24, 2019 at 14:47

1 Answer 1


It's not really a category, as such, but the large areas of your example images that are mostly uniform are referred to as negative space. That is, they are spaces that do not have distinguishing details in them in the way the smaller main subject of the image does.

If you search stock image sites for images with negative space, you'll likely get the kind of results you are looking for.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.