It seems like it should have been possible to achieve by adding tilt and shift movements to the enlarger lens, projecting a keystoned image of the film on the printing paper and cropping accordingly, but was it ever done ?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Hi user 35234221, Welcome to Photography. This is still a handy thing to know how to do. It's called the Scheimpflug principle. Scheimpflug was a surveyor by trade. \$\endgroup\$
    – Stan
    Sep 30, 2019 at 19:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks, I'm familiar with the Scheimpflug principle, just didn't know if it was commonly applied in darkroom printing as well as in camera. \$\endgroup\$ Sep 30, 2019 at 19:17

1 Answer 1


This perspective correction was done all the time. It's very effective.


It can throw off the focus of the image on the easel. Stopping down can help with the focus if the "correction" isn't too severe.

What to do?

Small corrections in the negative holder can be used to tilt it in much the same way as a view camera uses shifts and tilts of the lens board to much the same thing.

Here's more about it with some illustrations from the "Printer's Attic".

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks ! (Also if you're in touch with the owner of that site please bring to his attention that his SSL certificate is broken) \$\endgroup\$ Sep 30, 2019 at 19:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ @user35234221 My mistake in adding the link details. It should be okay by now. Thank you. \$\endgroup\$
    – Stan
    Sep 30, 2019 at 19:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.