Dear Photography Community,
I realize that some SE sites do not allow specific product recommendations, and that's ok.
I'm concerned that after my fruitless searching, I'm perhaps missing some appropriate keywords or even entire segments of the industry. I definitely have more to learn.
With that being said: I'm part of a small company that has a need to acquire color digital images under these conditions:
- Color images, 1.5 to N Megapixels (where N < 10-ish). Our current solution is 1.5 MP.
- Camera-to-subject distance of ~ 6-12 inches (150 - 300 mm).
- Minimal image/edge distortion. Can crop in post...
- Field of view like a few inches horizontally & vertically hoped for.
- Remote-input settable focus distance (perhaps via communication interface). Auto-focus has been problematic for us b/c the subject can be rather featureless.
- Ethernet interface, with an open protocol/API to use with our software (OS happens to Linux).
- Integral lighting (preferably), natural light color temp.
- Small, rigidly mounted, form-factor. Like 2"x2"x6" or such.
- Low image acquisition rate: we'd need only 1 image every 5 seconds or so.
We do not need many of the 'smart camera' features found with many industrial camera offerings, like: Part counting, recognition, measuring, learning, annotating, web connectivity, offsite servers...
Often times these 'features' make the camera (and the expensive required software that comes along with it) less accessible to us.
Our goals to be able to acquire a nice, relatively flat/un-distorted, true-color image of a thing that's a few (variable) inches away.
I would be overjoyed with
specific solutions, search suggestions, general guidelines, and pointers.