Here is an example of a bracketed photo with a range of detail on both ends of the exposure spectrum:


My question is: is there a filter (likely in Photoshop) that can take a set of bracketed photos and extracted/merge the photos?

1 Answer 1


You are essentially talking about HDR. You can do it in Photoshop (File > Automate > Merge to HDR), or you can use dedicated software like Photomatix. It is tricky to get good looking results.

When done well they can be stunning - unfortunately they aren't often done well.

  • +1 @ElendilTheTall: Thanks, HDR being "High Dynamic Range", correct? Also, for those reading this, these appear to be finished examples of this post-production method: google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=high+dynamic+range+photography
    – blunders
    Apr 14, 2011 at 12:08
  • 1
    High Dynamic Range, yes: in other words from the very darkest to the very brightest. Apr 14, 2011 at 12:21
  • There's different ways to compress a high-dynamic range scene into a final image, typically called an "HDR image", although really the dynamic range is just compressed — the output media isn't (usually) special. One technique is called "tone mapping", while the simple approach of blending bracketed exposures is "exposure blending".
    – mattdm
    Apr 14, 2011 at 12:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.