I am looking at image like this. Notice the inner thin edgy border in black.

Given a film negative and a scanner, how can we make such border?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Is your scanner a reflective scanner (such as a flatbed scanner) or a dedicated film scanner that projects light through the film? \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Jun 25, 2019 at 12:34
  • \$\begingroup\$ Flatbed scanner, like Epson V550. \$\endgroup\$
    – neversaint
    Jun 25, 2019 at 13:19
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Back in the film days you would file out the inside of the negative carrier to make the opening larger so a bit of the unexposed film showed through when you printed the negative. \$\endgroup\$ Jun 25, 2019 at 13:41
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Why not do it in post, there are various border add-ons available, some free. \$\endgroup\$
    – Mattman944
    Jun 25, 2019 at 14:09
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Mattman944 Can you give example app? \$\endgroup\$
    – neversaint
    Jun 25, 2019 at 15:15

1 Answer 1


What I do is to let the scanner (or its SW: I use Vuescan) find the frame in the neg and then just slightly increase the frame size include some of the rebate (the unexposed edge of the negative). That's not hard to do.

(When printing negs I gave up on the filed-out-neg-holder thing and now use glass which are a pain to get the film positioned in but otherwise much better.)

  • \$\begingroup\$ Increase what? And what's 'rebate' by the way? \$\endgroup\$
    – neversaint
    Jun 25, 2019 at 15:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ Sorry, I meant increase the frame size, and 'rebate' means the unexposed area outside the frame (I think this must come from the woodworking term, not the financial one, but I suppose they are related somehow). \$\endgroup\$
    – user82065
    Jun 25, 2019 at 15:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.