The bird takes up only about 2% of the frame. It is simply too small to serve as suitable foreground interest. I would have tried (and failed, as the bird flew away) to move a bit to the left, upwards, and closer (if possible). This would:
- Increase the size of the bird in the frame.
- Show the bird's head and neck more clearly.
- Show a 3/4 view of the boat.
- Position the bird and boat more diagonally from each other.
- Raise the water level in the frame.
If the boat is unimportant, I would have zoomed in on the bird as much as possible. Combined with a large aperture, the the bird would stand out from the blurred background.
Also, everything looks kind of gray. Adding +1 EC might help.