Let’s say I take a family picture. I take 3 shots. Then looking at the results, I see that on each shot a different person is either not looking at the camera or closing his eyes.

I remember reading about technologies that would automagically merge the shots to make the best of all 3.

I can’t figure out where I read it or which software did this, or what to look for exactly ...

  • \$\begingroup\$ One way is to do it the old fashioned way by hand. GIMP/PS, cut out the good face, put it on top of the bad face, stamp tool on the background (bad face picture) for the edges, stamp tool on neck to make it look seamless, some final touches here and there, voilá \$\endgroup\$
    – confetti
    Nov 17, 2018 at 17:57
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes that’s what we did now, but not being expert, I was hoping recent AI would be better at it... \$\endgroup\$
    – nute
    Nov 17, 2018 at 17:59
  • \$\begingroup\$ There might be something, I mean, theres decent faceswap on snapchat and similar, but a simple "swap" might not always be sufficient, if you want a professional looking picture. (Especially around the edges you might get bad results) \$\endgroup\$
    – confetti
    Nov 17, 2018 at 18:04

1 Answer 1


In Photoshop, you can use Photoshop to stack the images.

enter image description here

If you go to File > Scipts > Load Photos Into Stack

Photoshop will try to stack the images as close as possible. Then you will assort the images with the best images on the bottom of the layer then the other layers you want the better of the faces ontop.

You will then create a layer mask starting with the mask all in black. Then you use the paintbrush with the white color and paint on the layer mask of the faces you want on the original image.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.