What are ways to get a trouble-free photo-quality image on a large hard surface?
It's been a while I am considering selling panoramas between 6 and 12 feet wide on Neoluminance but I have been troubled by difficulties creating a product that is:
- Photographic quality equal to professional prints. At least 240dpi with a full color-gamut and tonality range.
- Rigid but not too heavy for easy hanging and handling.
- Smooth and bubble-free.
- Durable as professional prints.
Most of my efforts involve getting a print done by a large-format printer and fixing it to corrugated plastic, acid-free foam-core, cardboard and the like. Troubles spots:
- Fixing the photo perfectly to the backing without creating bubbles or folds.
- Insufficient rigidity. Corrugated plastic was good, the other backings no.
- Too heavy. Lamination is not available at the needed sizes, but already too heavy at smaller sizes.
- Some places were not capable of cutting to exact dimensions and only supplied fixed aspect-ratio media.