|visits||member for||4 years, 10 months|
|seen||1 hour ago|
I work for Red Hat on the Fedora Linux distribution. Before that, I was a sysadmin in the Academic Computing group at Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Photography is a hobby, and my main goal is simply documentation of my family life.
For some reason, most of my favorite answers here have something to with the geometry of photography, whether in composition, in exposure parameters, or angle of view. And hopefully in a way that makes it clear and interesting even to the non-geek:
- What is "angle of view" in photography?
- What historic reasons are there for common aspect ratios?
- What is the "exposure triangle"?
- Do flash guide numbers assume some amount of ambient light built-in?
- What is the 'Golden Ratio' and why is it better than the 'Rule of Thirds?'
But it's not all geometry!
- Is there development in the world of lenses?
- What are the key photography-related features from Photoshop that are missing in GIMP?
- What characteristics make a lens good or bad?
- Is it worth using Pentax's Premium JPEG quality setting?
- Are color and tones in this seascape fine?
- What does it mean for a photograph to be "high key"?
If you're a Pentax user, you may be interested in my definitive guide to Pentax hot shoe flashes and compatible 3rd-party options. It's no longer updated, but still has lots of good information. (If you'd like to take over, let me know!)
|bio||website||mattdm.org||visits||member for||4 years, 10 months|
|location||Somerville, MA||seen||1 hour ago|
|40||Aug 16 '13|
|110||Aug 15 '13|
|75||Aug 14 '13|
|10||Aug 13 '13|
|20||Aug 12 '13|
|20||Aug 10 '13|
|60||Aug 9 '13|
|30||Aug 8 '13|
|75||Aug 7 '13|
|20||Aug 6 '13|
|23||Aug 5 '13|
|30||Aug 4 '13|
|25||Aug 3 '13|
|35||Aug 2 '13|
|35||Aug 1 '13|
|35||Jul 31 '13|
|30||Jul 30 '13|
|85||Jul 29 '13|
|30||Jul 28 '13|
|50||Jul 27 '13|
|30||Jul 26 '13|
|5||Jul 25 '13|
|30||Jul 24 '13|
|70||Jul 23 '13|
|70||Jul 22 '13|
|15||Jul 21 '13|
|25||Jul 20 '13|
|40||Jul 18 '13|
|30||Jul 17 '13|
|10||Jul 16 '13|