by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Hot answers tagged


Well, I haven't personally, but the folks over at Life Pixel have. In summary: 830nm - Deep blacks. Very contrasty in B&W. Hoya R72/Wratten 89b /720nm - The most 'common' choice. Good all-around tone range, but less saturated than a 665nm filter. 665nm - More saturation and color range. B&W will be less contrasty than the 720nm. 590nm - Vibrant, ...


I would go for the 720 nm, any longer (800s and you're limited to pure black and white - i.e. you get no colour response. Any shorter (500-600) and you start to lose some of the IR look, that is to say the very dark skies and glowing vegetation. A 720nm filter is a good choice for a first IR camera as you can get the look of any of the other filters (with a ...


The subject is much more complex than the following "simplistic layman's answer"** , but ... Simplistically, a sample of light at a point can be represented by a two dimensional position plus an amplitude, or by the amplitude of three orthogonal component vectors. It is traditional to use Red Green and Blue, approximately corresponding to the colour ...


The factory installed IR cut filter on most digital cameras is very thin, and whilst it cuts out most of the unwanted IR spectrum, some IR light does get in. Screw in IR pass filters designed to go on the front of the lens are thicker and usually better at stopping light from the visible spectrum. So what is happening in the second case is that you are ...


Spectral Sensitivities of your sensor/lens combination have more of an effect on how much processing is done to an image before a jpeg or raw file is created. Today's camera's process the file for the look your desire given the camera profile (depends on brand). So camera manufacturers measure the spectral sensitivities of their sensors and create those ...


I use a Sigma DSLR for IR work, as you can remove the internal IR filter to allow IR wavelengths to pass and then use a filter atop your lens and then put it back when you want to switch back to color photography. A suggestion I would make is to look first at using gels - they are very cheap flexible sheets that cut IR (I have a Wratten 89b gel), and you ...

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible