by damned truths

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Tag Info

Hot answers tagged


"Preamble" - "Candid" versus "permission granted" photos: You specifically ask about asking permission, so that's what I've mainly concentrated on below. As others note and as you will be aware, photos taken when the subject is aware of the photographer are usually quite different from casual / candid / spontaneous shots. I take both. If I see someone who ...


In the United States, this falls into the gray area of "you might need a property release" (which, to my knowledge, has never been tested in court other than with buildings that are trademarked). The best solution is to likely include a photo release as part of your standard contract; buyers likely won't even flinch and you'll be protected from a legal ...


It is not a question of rights, it is a question of common courtesy. It is courteous to ask, and if refused, to respect their choice, after all it is their property. Put yourself in their shoes. Do you really want photos of your garden used in some company's publicity work? Perhaps you do or perhaps you don't mind but you would definitely expect them to ...


In Germany: if you can't take the photo standing on public property (without aiding devices like ladders), then you would have to ask. See Panoramafreiheit (in english). I'd say, yes, for the rest of the world too. Put your right to publish a photo of your work in the contract.


I think the best way to approach this is to start off with the assumption that it's a mistake. You'd be surprised how many people think posting a photo on flickr automatically places it in the public domain, even people who should know better. First, politely request that the photo be (a) credited or (b) taken down. If it has been used in a commercial ...


Beside the nice links in the comments, check these links too How Do You Photograph Strangers on the Street? HOW TO PHOTOGRAPH STRANGERS How to Photograph Strangers The main rule is to Stop being shy and do it


He needs to talk to the mall management where he has the agreement to setup the kiosk. If he doesn't have an agreement, its unlikely that you will get on. You should have him offer to shoot before the mall opens, so there won't be privacy issues with customers.


Short answer: no. You can't just take pictures of whatever you want. As others said, you need to contact the local jurisdiction for where you are going to take photographs. And you need to be specific in any request. For example, it is generally considered acceptable for a person to shoot a casual shot or two in Venice Beach. But if you're doing paid work ...


I can't comment directly on the answer, but the "UK Copyright Service" is a trading name of a commercial entity: COPYRIGHT WITNESS LIMITED, DUNRAVEN HOUSE 6 MEADOW COURT, HIGH STREET WITNEY, OXFORDSHIRE UNITED KINGDOM OX28 6ER Company No. 05016564 There is no such thing as a "copyright service" in the uk. The "advice" from "Copyright Witness" ...


I agree with Patt, you have to talk to the mall management, I have one experience that before I acquired the permit, I have to ask the management, explain them that I was doing a school project that time, then they just ask payment for that, while I shoot, a guard has to accompany me. It also depends on the mall policy. Some malls have payment term before ...


Don't get legal advice from strangers on the internet. Find a lawyer who specializes in copyright infringement, preferably one that works for a percentage of the money you get from the infringer. Ask that lawyer what you have to do to protect yourself. Do what the lawyer say. When someone uses your picture without permission let the lawyer take care of it. ...


Legal questions are unique in that the best answers are usually more practically correct than technically correct. Based on the research I have done in the past you should be ok as long as it's a public place and if they don't keep you from taking the pictures you should be good to sell/publish/etc. However, even if you're technically in the clear that ...


In most of the world publishing a photo of the inside of someone's house without permission would open the publisher up to a potential lawsuit. Thus you should not do it.


Reproduction of the artwork may well fall under copyright law of either the artist or the owner of the piece, depending on how it is attributed, so legally, it may be necessary to ask for permission depending on use case and jurisdiction. Beyond that, it's probably a good idea to ask anyway, particularly if it is someone you know. I would personally ask ...


Here is a tip to take candid photos. 1) Point the camera at an object of some kind and pretend to take a photo. 2) Point it at your subject and pretend to be checking the photo on the screen. 3) Take the real photo of your subject using live-view whilst pretending to review the images.


This question has a lot of nuance to it, and is something I've done quite a bit of research on. I still don't have a complete understanding of the picture (ha ha), but here's what I've been able to gather so far (note that any answers in this question are only applicable in the US). There are basically two things you have to consider -- what can you ...


That would depend (even for the US) on who/what you're shooting, as well as the purpose the photos will be used for afterwards. For example it may not be allowed to photograph military installations. Photography of/at security checkpoints at airports is illegal. Same likely goes for nuclear powerstations. When in doubt, ask the owners/persons involved. It's ...


You're right to be cautious, though I'm sure the situation is not as bad as I think! I would sign up to the forums at - there are so many really talented photographers on that site, they must know the situation better than anyone else!


Airports are classes as high security areas these days so casual photography tends to be frowned upon. If you call the airport directly and explain the situation they will be able to give you the number of their press/media department who would be able to arrange permission for you take photos within the airport but its probably going to involve you being ...


Your copyright office should provide good reference documents detailing the steps you should take to deal with infringement. In the UK the Copyright Infringement fact sheet from UK Copyright Service is the one to follow. For those in the US, the Copyright Office has a fairly basic reference on stopping infringement.. Also, for online violations under US ...

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible