Alley in Pisa, Italy

by Lars Kotthoff

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Tag Info

New answers tagged


You'll need a lens with a minimum focus distance small enough to accommodate your rig. (See also How close can a lens focus?) There are several ways to accomplish this. Your secondary macro lens, which mounts on the front of the existing lens, is one way to accomplish this, but won't necessarily be sufficient and certainly won't give the best image quality. ...


You can also use the hugin toolset which includes the align_image_stack and enfuse tools. You may also wish to add the EnfuseGUI to cut down on the typing. Works very well Free & Open Source Multi-platform runs on Mac/Windows/Linux There is a very nice walk through here.


I would recommend Sigma AF 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM APO Macro OS. Fast and silence focus, 1:1 Maximum Reproduction Ratio And Fullframe. if you need to crop the picture, it is also possible.


From my experience Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II was good for macro photography. I used it for micro structure photographs and has good performance. The selection of lens depends on the field you are interested in.


What you basically want to looking for in the specs are the macro capabilities of the camera. A bridge camera may or may not be your best choice, here, particularly if you want to handhold the camera for the shots. Bridge cameras (the ones that look like dSLRs and are typically marketed by how big the zoom factor is), tend to trade off reach for low light ...


For shooting small models, the most important thing is going to be the magnification of the camera. Magnification relates to how large it is possible to make something small appear in a photo. It is related to the sensor size, the focal length and the minimum focus distance (the minimum distance at which the camera can focus). Both cameras have roughly ...


Macro lenses will usually stay at a fixed focal length because A) it is difficult to focus with zoom changing B) Zoom lenses can present stability issues when close to a subject There are a few macro lenses that the photographer can "lock" at the minimum focal length.

Top 50 recent answers are included