It's a bird

by Vian Esterhuizen

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Tag Info

New answers tagged


Assuming a "medium" brightness (averaging day & night), ISO 25, f/64, with a 9-stop ND should get you to about 30 days. I haven't seen a reciprocity failure chart that goes that high, but I would assume that would carry you out as far as you want to go. A lot of assumptions, but it sounds possible to me.


As @BobT suggests, a sharp lens with neutral-density filter(s) could do the job, or you might use multiple short exposures. In any case, take into account reciprocity failure, which will; require yet longer exposures in very dim lighting, and which causes color shifts on most emulsions. It should be interesting to see the photos here, showing only really ...


There are basically two ways to make a pinhole camera sharper. as Olin Lathrop said, the smaller the pinhole the sharper the image, but if it gets too small, diffraction come into play. There is an optimal diameter of the pinhole and this formula calculates it: Diameter = Constant x sqrt(Focal Length x Wavelength of light) There is a bit of mess about what ...


No, there is no lens design that allows for sharpening a pinhole image. This is because pinhole cameras by definition don't have lenses. You can replace the pinhole with a lens to get more sharpness with lower f-stops. That's why normal cameras have lenses instead of pinholes. With a pinhole, the sharpness gets better as the pinhole gets smaller, which ...


I know what you mean when you say the pictures are not as sharp as they should be. Ever since I bought the Nikon D7000 I had the same problem and was disappointed too. The funny thing is, that salesmen always try to sell you a very sharp expensive lens (obviously), but I had never heard anyone say that in most cases the sharpness can be improved tremendously ...

Top 50 recent answers are included